Thursday, November 11, 2010

Canning Count 2010

I have been wanting to do this, but I needed to make applesauce first. I finally made applesauce and so now I can say we are officially done canning and done gardening for the year!!


Some thoughts about this year:

1. We liked cabbage and we will do it again!

2. Our asparagus beans are cool but not that cool.

3. Our winter squash did fabulous and we put away several pureed bags in the freezer, you can use if like pumpkin. It makes very moist and yummy pumpkin muffins!

4. I didn't can as much as I did last year and I didn't do as much variety either. I did mostly basics. Next year we will be doing pickles!

5. Our second crop of corn finally turned out but it took some covering. We are planning to do it again only using a shorter days to yield variety. Oh, and we didn't really like the Optimum corn that we tried. It wasn't as sweet as our favorite Ambrosia. and it didn't seem to be significantly more corn as it claimed to be. Just our opinion.
6. Believe it or not we didn't have enough zucchini or crookneck squashes. I don't know why but that's really weird. Oh well.
This picture is of our second crop of corn. We planted it around Independence Day. It is short but provided 2 medium sized cobs per stalk, but because they were the Optimum corn it wasn't as sweet and took longer to ripen. But it was still worth the work.

I will have to take a picture of our huge banana squashes and post them.

Here are the totals:

Applesauce: 16 quarts

Beans: 87 pints
Corn: 43 pint bags
Grape Jelly: 1 batch
Grape Juice: 10 quarts
Peaches: 47 quarts
Pears: 74 quarts
Peas: 6 pint bags
Pickled Red Beets: 10 pints
Raspberry Jam: 6 batches
Squash Puree: 21 cups
Strawberry Jam: 2 batches
Sugar Snap Peas: 13 pint bags
Tomato Juice: 22 quarts

5 comments:

Hmachine said...

YOU.....ARE.....AMAZING!!! I Sooo wish you could teach me!!!

Connor and Jana said...

I am sighing for your right now! Doesn't that feel so good to have it done. You love to can, so it may not to you. But after reading all that you canned, I can tell you I am feeling a relief for you. That is awesome. If you ever have to get rid of any raspberries next year we will take some off your hands.
Did you know I was coming up there tomorrow for the weekend!
See ya Later

Tayna said...

Makes me tired reading the list! You did lots!!! Great job!

Pulcheria said...

This is so Cool! Great job! (I'm only a little jealous.)

Melissa S. said...

INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE!!!!! I bet it is sooooo awesome for you to look in your food storage and see all of that! Seriously, I'm super impressed.