Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lola's Namesake

Lola was named after her Great-Grandmother Lola Mary Olsen Pehrson. My Father's Mother.
I haven't met her yet, but I've always liked her. She was tall, with brown eyes and hair. She had a great smile and nice legs (so they say). I guess I feel like I might resemble her and she might like me too.
She died of breast cancer at the tender age of 43. When her 4 children were 18, 16, 13(my dad) and 10. 
I borrowed a special book that my dad has about her when I knew we were having a girl. It's fun to see the pictures and read the stories of her childhood, courtship/marriage and family life.
She lived most of her life in Cache Valley. She was a hard and fast worker usually finishing her work before her siblings. She broke her nose twice. She was good at handling horses. She was a good pianist and singer, she sang in some choirs and played the organ in church. 
When she graduated high school she had some spunky fun. She worked several places including California and Salt Lake City. She bought her own car. I love to read that she was a go getter. She knew what she wanted and didn't let anything stop her.



She met my Grandpa George Aaron Pehrson when he was on leave during World War II. They were married in the Logan Temple. I love her pretty hand bag.

As a mother she worked along side her husband in tending their large apple orchard. She could decorate cakes and took great care to improve their home.

I love this picture.


I love this one too, I love how comfortable my grandpa looks. My dad is sitting right next to Lola. I guess I also like it because it is the same stage of live that I am in now. My dad always called her his biggest support system.







This last picture was taken not long before she died.
I want to note that on her trips to Salt Lake for treatments she often took time to attend the temple. She was a faithful, loving mother.

The idea of losing my mother is scary, but not as scary as losing the chance to raise my children. I'm sure her heart ached at this. Being a good mother is the best thing a woman can do to make a difference in the world.



This post has been in the works for a while, its just been hard to compose the right words.
I love my grandparents, and am so proud of my Aunts, Uncle and my Dad for doing something really hard.



5 comments:

MichelleWar said...

What a great post. It's amazing how much all of us who never met her, love her so much.

Tayna said...

I agree with Michelle's post. I can't wait to meet her! I think she was a brave amazing woman....had to be to raise a son like Dad!
I mean that in a great way....Dad is brave and amazing as well.

Connor and Jana said...

That is a beautiful post. I need to borrow that book and learn all of that about her. There was a lot that you wrote that I did not know. Thanks Darc!

Grandma Luie said...

There are not many posts that make me cry, but this one did. Dad says that Lola really did want to live. She begged the Lord for just 5 more years to get her boys mostly raised, but that wasn't the Lord's plan. I can't wait to meet her also and thank her for raising such a great man in her son, Doug. Thanks Darcy.

Hmachine said...

I absolutely LOVE this post. I think you do resemble her, but more than that, she has inspired you in many things that you do. You are also a strong, go-get-em mother and this was beautiful!! Family is such a great treasure!!! Thanks for sharing this with us! :)