Gotcha! Not the baby yet! But a cute little chicken and her 4 sisters!
Derek is the reason for the chicks (we're raising kids here not chicks) ever since my dad got some 2 springs ago, he has been in love.
Last fall when he took one to the fair he saved his $5 gift card to IFA so he could buy 2 chicks!
We've done some research and got 5 different kinds of chicks. They spent a few days in our kitchen which was fun except they were noisy at night. Especially when they pecked at the box and it woke Jake and I up thinking someone was knocking at the door. So they are now living in the garage for 5 more weeks. By that time the chicken coop Jake and Derek are building will be finished and we can move them to their real home!
This is Fuzzball, she is an Americauna, she should lay green eggs! She came home with a crooked feet, but after successful casting and physical therapy (band-aids and tape wrapped around her feet to keep them flat) she now walks beautifully.
Fuzzball gets her name from the fuzzy cheeks she has!
Derek's other chick is a Speckled Sussex, named Speck. But I like to call her Pecky Becky, because for the first few days she didn't know how to eat from the feeder, she just pecked all the remnants of food off of the other chicks, like some sort of OCD clean freak. She gets a little up tight when you hold her still. But the funniest thing about Speck is when she drinks water she tips her head all the way back to her bum (chicks have bum's right?) she has even tipped over from doing this. Don't tell Derek but Grandpa Doug said it was the "dumbest chicken I've ever seen." Now is much more content and less pecky because she is eating from the feeder, so she's not dumb just funny!
Kelli looks nervous holding Blueberry her Black Osterlorp. But she isn't that way anymore, she kisses and talks gently to her.
Brady likes to pet his chick Buff Orpington named "Lightning Mcqueen" and he will even kiss her. She is the most gentle chickie that we have. But according to Brady she is a boy!
Rounding out the last of our 5 is Lacie Gracie, she is a Silver Laced Winedotte. She is Jake's and she's supposed to be the prettiest, they say.
We are having lots of fun so far with our new pets, they have grown a lot in the week that we've had them.
We hope to have eggs by the end of summer!
6 comments:
I want chickens. I often tell Peter that I'm going to sneak a coop into the conservation land across the street. Those look like lovely chicks- have fun!
Oh so fun! I want updates on how they continue to grow. Also of the coop building. I miss having chicks for the first time. Such a new, fun, fresh adventure!
(love the maternity shirt too!)
Oh my goodness!! Darcy!!! Don't be fooled by my married name, you'll remember me as one of the Lewis's from Millville. I came across your blog in a very round about way, blog hopping from a friend, to his mom, and randomly clicking on one of the people in her blog list. Anyway, I haven't seen or heard about you since you stopped taking piano from Lizzy. Your little family is adorable, I love that you have chicks.... I also saw your sweet mom a few weeks ago, sometimes I wish I could go back and relive that first year in YW, maybe just my first girls camp. You Laurals were always such inspirations to me, and I hoped I would turn out half as awesome as you girls. Anyway, glad to see all is well after all these years.
Chicks are fun! I am curious to see your coup. We want to get chickens someday, but we aren't sure about our coup. Fun for you kids too.!
Wow, I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. Your dad calling the chicken dumb. LOL! I can totally imagine that, and it's so funny! Kelli is so cute in her picture. It kinda looks like she could be holding a live grenade based on that posture. All the kids look so excited to have them. Fun fun!
Hooray! I laughed out loud when I saw the chicken book on the pile from your nightstand. Dan has read and loved it. He really wants chickens, but our neighborhood doesn't allow them. He will be so jealous! Congrats on the new baby too! Another little girl will be so much fun!
Post a Comment