Thursday, September 10, 2009

Derek's Big Injury

Warning: There's blood.
So Derek has had his first big accident. Kelli's came with a broken clavicle when she was two. It was just a matter of time for Derek to match her. Well tuesday night was his night. They were playing with cardboard boxes, as they sometimes do and Kelli and Derek had to cut off the wings. Well Kelli was cutting and Derek basically stepped into the scissors. It was a pretty good cut. I reacted very poorly and called for Jake. The eagle scout took over in him and he managed just fine. I am hoping that if Jake weren't around I would have reacted better.
Anyway Jake took him to the instacare. Jake is very experienced with stitches and instacare.


This is Derek waiting for some numbing or something, while watching Cars! His favorite movie. He recently purchased a "Cars" car with his own money. It's the new favorite toy.

Yucky, this is the open gash, it didn't bleed too much but wouldn't stay closed.

Some awful shots and 14 stitches later, it looks pretty good. He hated the shots but was wanting to watch the stitching and asking them when they were done.


It's a pretty long scar for a little leg.

But it hasn't slowed him down very much. He got to take home the siringe that they were using to clean out his cut. So cool!! He likes telling people about it, I am sure it will be a really cool scar someday. Now we just can't go swimming for 8 more days and he'll be getting a sponge bath today!




6 comments:

Tayna said...

EEEWWWW! Looks like he's happy again. Can't wait to see the scar!

Pulcheria said...

What a brave guy! I'm sure it will make a great family injury story. So glad it wasn't worse.

Holli Williams said...

Wow! That is a lot of stitches! He looks like a trooper. What a great story for him to be able to tell someday.

Tori said...

OH MAN!! What a cut!!

Danielle said...

Yick!! It's no wonder you weren't the vision of calm. I would have turned into a puddle... a raving hysterical puddle!

Brave guy!!

Suzanne said...

Owie, Darcy! What a big gash! And what a cute kid!

I'm glad I found your blog! It'll be fun to keep up with you!