Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Play hard (take a bath) Work hard (take a bath)

PLAY HARD
Our Labor Day plans included a jeep trip into the mountains. We rode up Millville Canyon and ate lunch at the top of that canyon, seen below. Then we made our way to the peak of Mt. Logan. Then we slowly made our way down Prov Canyon. We had a great time, the kids liked the back of the jeep. We were a little cold, very dusty and thoroughly giggled.




Derek is telling us that he just saw a huge eagle, or hawk or some bird that's really big.







A view from the top. This is looking out over the south end of the valley, just above Brady's head is Hyrum Dam. We could see the new school, but our house was blocked.

WORK HARD
The kids LOVE helping Grandpa Doug haul hay. So two times a year he asks them if they want to help. They love riding in the trailer. I do my best to haul like a man, but really I don't help much.

I can move them, but when it comes to unloading that's where I really show my gender. I can't lift them like a man. That is when Dad wishes he had some real help and not wimpy girl. I can stack bales three high. My Dad on the other hand can stack them like 7 high. How many can you or your spouse stack hay?
I am not smiling, that is a grimace.
While unloading Derek spent some quality time with grandpa's chickens. He loves those chickens and the eggs they lay. He was talking to them, laughing at them, feeding and always checking for new eggs.

This is my favorite, because the brim of his hat is pushed up from putting his face against the chicken door talking to them.
Needless to say, we had to have baths when we were done playing and working!

3 comments:

Tayna said...

Darc, I love that you guys do so much in the outdoors and the mountains. What great family memories! Nice job bucking hay! I'm nearly positive I couldn't even move a bale very far, so I think you are he-woman! I'm sure Dad appreciates any help he can get.

Pulcheria said...

What a great day! I am really jealous of your jeep ride - that's one of our fav routes. Glad you all had such fun!

Connor and Jana said...

That Jeep ride looks so much fun!! And for the hay hauling, I am sure you are building muscles everytime you help! Like Tayna, I am not sure I could move one a foot. I wish we were all a little closer to help. Thanks for doing all of our parts up there at the house and helping out so much!!