Tuesday, August 16, 2011

6 + 3 = Very cool day!

We ate 6 veggies from our garden tonight for dinner, and could have easily had 3 more.

The menu consisted of our first taste of corn!!!!! With some yummy yellow squash, Swiss chard, cucumbers which Brady peeled and diced, and of course my favorite zucchini mozzarella medley. It has zucs sauteed in garlic and basil, topped with fresh tomatoes and mozz to melt! We have it most nights these days!

The honorable mentions are beans, (we had them last night) cabbage (which we prefer cooked in a crock pot with roast and potatoes), and beets, which aren't quite ready yet, but close.

I guess if your getting technical we 'could' have had carrots, lettuce, winter squash, watermelon, peas, peppers and radishes. But either these are already gone or aren't ready yet. But I still think 6 for one meal is pretty fun!


I canned 3 different kinds of cucumbers today. I made 8 pints of cucumber relish, which is sweet and wonderful on hot dogs. I also did 4 quarts of sweet pickles, which are so sweet it's like cooking them in syrup. And I saved the cute, little cucs for dill pickles since they are so easy I just whipped one up and processed it with the sweet pickles. Kelli was a big help with the chopper, chopping up everything for the relish. I'm excited to be done with cucumbers for a few days.

All in all it was a very cool-as-a-cucumber day!

1 comment:

Tayna said...

Fresh corn on the cob......YUUUMMMOO! I need you to make zuccini moz for me. I bet it's really good.