We went to the Glamis Castle. (pronounced Glamz) It was amazing. It is actually still lived in by the 15th Earl of Something. It had a lot of history. Old history and more modern. It was the childhood home of the Queen Elizabeth, she is affectionately known as is the Queen Mother. She might be known as King George's wife, from the movie 'The King's Speech.'
There was a huge variety of antiques and treasures. But we couldn't take pictures.
The grounds were amazing. They had these furry cows called Highland Coos.
They were really cool, Elder Ripp got to feed one.
Jake got these great shots and even got to pet this young one.
This is the Italian Garden, it was very beautiful. You can see the tree canopy, freshly trimmed. There were neatly trimmed hedges all over Scotland.
This is what the canopies looked like underneath. I really liked them a lot, but I don't think I can get things to grow like that here.
The thistle is a symbol of Scotland because the story is that some invaders were trying to cross the mote of a castle. They thought there was water in the moat and for some reason they took off their shoes. The moat wasn't filled with water but with thistles. When the soldiers shrieked in pain it alerted those inside!
In the evening we drove over the Tay River to the Kingdom of Fife and St Andrews. Which is the birthplace of golf. We did some golfing and had fun. We were within walking distance of the 'old course.' Some Shepard's invented the game to pass the time. There is also a small beach close by. I'm guessing that's where the sand traps came from. It was fun, we wish we could have spent more time there. Especially to see the Golf Museum. Everything shuts down at 5 pm, that is except the pubs.
In the background you can see the 'Old Course Hotel.'
We drove around the St. Andrews University, which is super old and prestigious. We also drove past the St. Andrews Cathedral and Abbey. The Cathedral is just ruins but was one of the largest one in it's day.
This pic is the Abbey... I think. It's against the North Sea.
We drove to my city! Which has a caravan park (RV park) called Clayton Caravan Park!
The RV's are really small and driven by small vehicles. We only saw a few trucks and minivans and no suburbans.
We thought our kids would like this shot of the Bobby (police). I never did learn why they are called the Scotland Yard!?
2 comments:
Looks fun! I love the golfing pictures. Too bad you couldn't take pics inside the castles. I think the cows are awesome too!
That looks so fun!! It is so green! I love Jake's hat, he really looks like he is from Scotland with it on. So fun!
Post a Comment