Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Canning Count 2011

I look forward to this season. I love to put food away for my family. I guess I'm like a squirrel. And I love keeping track of it. This canning count only consists of food that I put away. Anything we eat doesn't count, and we are averaging 3 garden veggies with our dinner, usually cucumbers and zucchini. With crookneck squash, beans and Swiss chard frequently as well.


Peas 11 pint bags

Sugar Snap Peas 21 pint bags

Strawberry Jam 2 batches

Raspberry Jam 1 batch

Beans 22 pints

Shredded Zucchini 15 cups

Dill Pickles 5 quarts


Our corn is almost ready and we have some great looking winter squashes. We have enjoyed lots of Derek's cherry tomatoes already and had 4-5 real tomatoes as well.

Our garden is benefiting from an automatic sprinkler system that Jake rigged up. It's nice not to have to worry about it and I know it's getting a better watering. I was hesitant to give up control of it at first but now I love it!

3 comments:

Connor and Jana said...

Fun posts!! I can't believe your garden is already producing so much!! We love wheat thins with yogurt. I will have to try tortilla chips because they would be cheaper! Happy Birthday Jake a month ago.

Tayna said...

I like your canning count! I did 26 quarts of beans this week, and lots of red beets. I don't do near the stuff you do though! Great job sister!

Valerie and Adam said...

I'm so jealous! My garden just doesn't produce that way, but I guess the 100+ degrees down here might have something to do with it. :)